Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Through Rose-Colored Lenses

So tonight I was wondering... what is it about down town (anywhere) that I love so much? I'll have to say I'm not quite the shopping fashionista diva-like girl who you'll find with five different bags in her hand, one featuring shirtless men from Americrombie & Fitch. Sooo not me AT ALL. I'm more the thrifty, Goodwill girl who literally thrives off asking the question, "How much do you think I got this for?!"

So I've been editing some more of the pictures from Sunday's adventure in downtown Indy and it just excites me. I love the playfulness and creativity downtown life offers the world. It doesn't even have to be live entertainment. It is just something you feel in the air. Like the place where people go to let their hair down and seize the moment. The activity. The hustle and bustle. Oh, and gosh it's so fun to people watch. (Guilty.)

I love the arts and even though some may be quick to assume that this is not art but rather vandalization, I view it as an ever-evolving canvas for creativity to take place. And I'm pretty sure some of the communities I've seen this type of "art" in welcome the evolution! Am I implying, by any means, that you go ruckusing  through your garage to find an old spray can so you can shake, shake, shake, and go "buck wild" with? Well, no! But I think you get what story I'm trying to paint for you. <pun intended>

Let me show you what I mean... Here is the corridor where these first two pictures where taken. Love the urban-ness. Oh, and wave hello to Natalie, all.






Which leads me to another thought... Maybe "vandalization" is just a rebellious art form in a community where it may not have been embraced much to begin with! With that in mind, I am still not PRO-breaking the law. I do love it's sporadic spirit about it though. Okay, so you may think the picture above is ugly. It may not be something YOU would put in your home, or anywhere else for that matter, but maybe THAT'S the point. It's not the norm. Either way, my camera didn't seem to mind capturing it and neither did I! To me, each artist/person left their mark. It's their "I was here, once." And even if their name doesn't appear on the wall as it would on a canvas, I think it is really pretty neat.

Another reason why I love downtown is for its sparkle. Something about it pizazzes to me! I love going at night where there are pretty lights. It provokes stillness and serenity at times and others it screams LIVELINESS. I love LIGHTS. :)

This pic was taken by my friend Natalie but pretty much shows what I mean... This one is so alive and certainly patriotic.



This next one was taken by me of The Canal. And to me this one is so soft and quiet, reflective.


To end it all, I think the moral of the story is that beauty really IS in the eye of the beholder. What you think is weird, ugly, etc can always have its own beauty just waiting to be captured from eyes who think it's beautiful.

From one who wants to see the world with more beauty daily,
Shannon <3

No comments:

Post a Comment